Health & Wellbeing


School nurses lead and deliver the Healthy Child Service for 5 to 19 year olds, working with children, young people and their families and have a key role in supporting children and young people in school settings. They:

  • help support the physical and emotional health and wellbeing of children and young people
  • provide advice on healthy choices (healthy eating, dental health, sexual health and substance misuse)
  • offer health reviews to ensure your child continues to reach its full potential
  • provide specific support for families with complex needs such as diabetes and asthma
  • offer advice and information on health issues such as bedwetting and behavioural problems
  • work closely with your child’s school to promote a healthy lifestyle
  • offer the childhood immunisation programme to protect against disease and infection

Young people can contact the school nurses confidentially by texting or calling telephone: 07833 437363, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm


Attend Anywhere - Virtual video consultations

Attend Anywhere is an access point for the Healthy Child Service either via a booked appointment which would be pre-arranged with a School Nurse, or via a drop in service.

Having a virtual appointment is often more convenient as it will not require travel, however the face to face options are still available.

The School Nurses will provide it as an option for appointments and provide guidance and information on how to have a session via Attend Anywhere. It is very straight forward to access and can be accessed via mobile, tablet or computer without the need to install any applications.

You can access the Consultation Attend Anywhere Guide online


Maintaining emotional and mental wellbeing is always important. The Covid-19 situation can bring special challenges, and there is support to help.

Things to do at Home

You can apply online for a York Library Card for free access to to e-magazines, newspapers, e-books and e-audiobooks.

Shine has many virtual activities you can do from home from online singing to exercise sessions.

NHS Mental Health and Wellbeing Advice

Self-assessment, audio guides and other tools you can use while staying at home. There is information about stress, anxiety, sleep and low mood  and there are tips about accessing further NHS support if you need it. NHS also has information about the Child and Mental Health Services, (CAMHS) in our area.

York Mind

Text Service: Any young person in the York area aged between 11-21 who is struggling with their mental health can text 07483167931 to arrange speaking to a supporter around their mental health. They will get a text back within 48 hours to either arrange a phone call or a text conversation, depending on preference.

Telephone Drop-In: Young people aged 11-21. Chat about anything you are struggling with. You can also use the drop in to find out more about the other services below, and sign up for them if you would like.Text 07483 167931 and ask to speak on the phone or by text. You will get a reply within 48 hours. If you would like a phone call, this text will include a time for that phone call within the next 7 days.

Online Video Groups: Via Zoom for 11-15 year olds and 16-21 year olds. There will be new rounds of these groups starting across Summer. Text 07483167931 to enquire, or email or go to  You do not need to decide what group to access before enquiring.

  • Words & Wellbeing: These groups explore how words and writing can be used to support emotional well-being, with a particular focus on expressing emotions and building positive wellbeing. Any level of literacy can join this group, and work on using writing to work towards a positive future. 
  • Emotional Wellbeing Toolkits: In these groups you will explore techniques for managing anxiety and low mood that can be created to be used within the home, such as creating positivity jars and learning calming exercises. 
  • Mindfulness Skills: In these groups you will learn skills around being present in the moment and aware of your own emotional processes, which can be used to help promote a positive state of mind. These skills can be useful to move forward from repeated stressful thought patterns and anxieties.
  • Visual Art & Self-Esteem:You will explore identity and individuality through creative mediums such as drawing, painting, collage, sculpture or puppetry to learn how to focus on positive aspects of who they are and promote good self-esteem. You do not need to be an artist to join, everyone is welcome and we will be creating whatever art makes you feel good!.


Web based confidential support service designed specifically for young people. Counsellors are available from 12noon to 10pm on weekdays, and 6pm to 10pm at weekends, every day of the year on a drop-in basis for text based conversations, or young people can access regular, booked, online counselling sessions as needed. Outside counselling hours, young people can message the Kooth team and get support by the next day. Check out the website for articles, forums and discussion boards.

The Mix  support service for young people, including online community, free, confidential helpline or counselling service.

Information helpline for under 25 year olds 0808 808 4994, 4pm -11pm everyday.

Webchat, (10-18 years old) 7days a week 4pm -11pm.

Telephone counselling for up to 25 year olds.

Young Minds

Advice pages for coping with self-isolation and maintaining emotional wellbeing during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Children's Society

Tips and advice for young people about emotional resilience and wellbeing.

Oxford Mindfulness Centre

Free online podcasts and sessions for mindfulness to help stay in the present moment, and remove a focus on the things that may stress or worry us.


A supportive online community where you can listen, share and be heard.


Support for domestic abuse. Online chat if you are isolated with someone you are afraid of, (3pm - 6pm Monday-Friday).


Help if you or a young person you know is thinking about suicide.


Private, confidential advice and support. Telephone 0800 1111.

The School Wellbeing Service

The School Wellbeing Service provides support for young people who are presenting with mental health issues and concerns, which are below an intervention from CAMHS, but above what school pastoral structures can support.

In addition to The School Wellbeing Service information, the webpage contains lots of useful resources for both young people and parents/carers; including additional support services; website information; information about apps to download; links to self-help booklets; helpline information and practical information.

covid rainbow 720

Useful documents