Skip to content


Keeping well is important to keep good mental health. Being active, being with the people who make you feel good and care about you, getting out and about and doing the things you enjoy helps maintain good mental health and wellbeing.

Having good positive relationships with others  helps support our mental health and wellbeing. The relationships we have with others can be good or bad. We all have relationships: family, friends, work mates, school teachers, class mates, the people you live with, hang around with and even the people you try and avoid! But what makes a good relationship?

Relationships are not always perfect, it is quite normal to have disagreements  but there are some things everyone deserves to ensure a happy and healthy relationship. Communication is key to any good relationship.  If communication has broken down and your relationship with that person is suffering it can be very hard to know what to do or who you can talk with about it. 



Bullying is all too common. Bullying can happen to anyone at any age. Bullying is when someone deliberately hurts you and usually happens over time. Being bullied at school, home or online might involve:

  • verbal bullying e.g. calling you names
  • emotional bullying e.g. teasing you, talking about you, leaving you out, harassment
  • physical bullying e.g. pushing you, hitting you
  • cyber-bullying e.g. text message, Facebook, email

No one has the right to hurt you or make you feel bad, and if you are being bullied you don't have to put up with it, you can talk to someone about it. You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. If you are being bullied it is sometimes difficult to now what to do.

Talk it over with someone you trust. You might not be ready to tackle the problem but it can help you decide what you would like to happen.

Whatever you do, don't just put up with it. Though it isn't always easy to tackle the bullies, there are laws to protect you, whether you are in school, online or at work. By keeping silent, you are doing what the bully wants and protecting them.

Where to get help if you are being bullied

You can talk to any adult in your school about bullying.

You can ring Childline on 0800 11 11 and you can talk to them about anything that has upset you or makes you worry.

Online advice and support is available, please refer to suggested websites below:

BBC Advice


National Bullying Helpline

Think U Know

Yorkshire MESMAC

Young Minds

Domestic Violence, Abuse and Rape

Domestic Violence, abuse and rape can affect anyone.

What is domestic violence, abuse and rape?

  • Controlling or threatening behaviour between couples, ex couples, family members or people in a position of trust
  • Physical violence and threats
  • Emotional and sexual abuse
  • Financial control
  • Forced marriage
  • 'Honour based' violence
  • Female genital mutilation (FGM)

If you are experiencing or have experienced domestic violence, abuse or rape it can be difficult to seek help and support. Often people feel scared to tell someone, especially if they are fearful of any consequences that might ensue. Sometimes people think they deserve what has or is happening to them.

It is important to remember if you are experiencing violence, abuse or rape you are not to blame.

IDAS- Healthy Relationships  is the largest specialist charity in Yorkshire supporting people affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence. They have lots of useful information on their website including information to help you decide whether the relationship you are in is a good, healthy relationship. You can call them for advice and support Tel: 03000 110 110  or email 

If you are in immediate danger call the Police on 999.


Domestic Violence 

Domestic abuse is an incident or pattern of behaviour which is controlling, coercive, threatening, degrading and violent, including sexual violence. In the majority of cases it is by a partner or ex-partner and it can happen at any point in a relationship, including after you have split up. Sometimes it can also be a family member or carer who is carrying out this behaviour. Domestic abuse is very common and and is never the fault of the person who is experiencing it. Domestic abuse is a crime.

 Refuge provides specialist support to women, children and some men escaping domestic violence and other forms of violence. They run a Freephone 24-Hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 2000 247 or visit to access their live chat. 

If you, or someone you know, is experiencing domestic abuse, Women's Aid is there for you. You can access a range of support including live chat and email services for advice and emotional support as well as a forum where you can speak to other women in a supportive community of domestic abuse survivors.


Rape and Sexual Assault

If you have been sexually assaulted, whether as an adult or a young person, it is important to remember that it wasn't your fault. Sexual violence is a crime, no matter who commits it or where it happens. Don't be afraid to get help.

If you are in immediate danger call the Police on 999 and try get to a safe place. If you are not immediate danger you can call the Police on 101 to report a rape or sexual assault.

A sexual assault is any sexual act that a person did not consent to, or is forced into against their will. It is a form of sexual violence and includes rape (an assault involving penetration of the vagina, anus or mouth), or other sexual offences, such as groping, forced kissing, child sexual abuse, or the torture of a person in a sexual manner.

NHS Help after rape and sexual assault  website has lots of information and support about what to do and where to get help if you have been sexually assaulted. 

Bridge House SARC - Sexual Assault Referral Centre offers free support and practical help to anyone in North Yorkshire who has ​experienced sexual violence and/or sexual abuse. They offer medical, practical and emotional support and have specially trained doctors, nurses and support workers to care for you.​ If you would like to speak to someone, they are available on ​0330 223 0362 or you can send them an email at

SurvivorsUK runs the National Male Survivors Online Helpline – a webchat and SMS service for men, boys and non-binary people who have experienced sexual abuse at any time in their lives. Thier specialist support team can chat with you for up to 45 minutes per day by webchat or by text (SMS) 020 3322 1860.


Spiking is when alcohol or drugs have been put in your drink without your knowledge or permission. There is also some concern that people are also now being ‘spiked’ by needles/syringes containing drugs. 

If your drink has been spiked or you've been injected with an unknown substance, and you think you've been sexually assaulted contact IDAS for specialist care and support. 

If you've been spiked but have not been sexually assaulted, call 111 for urgent medical advice if you have any symptoms you're worried about.

Also, contact the police to tell them what happened.

More information and advice on spiking can be found on the Frank website. 

Search for Services

There are many services offering support by a range of methods including text, face to face, telephone and email.

Find out more information on services providing emotional health and wellbeing support using our online search. Alternatively get in touch with the Young People Information Service and we will try and help you find support.

The service directory has details of organisations that provide information about services for young people. Find services to support with Emotional Health and Wellbeing; Online Safety; LGBTQ+ and sexuality; Eating Disorder, Sexual Health and more.  All sexual health services are completely confidential. The services listed will not give information about you to any one else without your permission, unless there is a serious risk to your (or someone else), health.

Useful documents