Setting Up Provision

Becoming a childminder

Your everyday skills could shape someone’s future…

Imagine a job that makes a real difference to children – one that builds their confidence and helps them to develop into well adjusted, sociable young people. Then imagine the flexibility to do this job in your own home, fitting with your other commitments. You can be your own boss, have professional status, develop business skills and earn financial benefits.

Our online childminding section has lots of helpful information and advice if you are considering becoming a childminder.

Starting a new nursery, playgroup, out of school club or holiday scheme

The Early Years and Childcare Service are responsible for ensuring sufficient early years and childcare places across the city.

For further advice and support regarding setting up a new nursery or playgroup, please contact the Early Years Quality Improvement team.


If you are interested in working with children we have a recruitment service which can guide you and also has details of current job vacancies. For more information look at the recruitment section.


York Family Information Service and Information Service for Young People

01904 554444 / 01904 555400

Search for Childcare and Services