York's Healthy Child Service
York's healthy child service
Health visitors and school nurses are qualified nurses or midwives with specialist training in public health for children, young people and families.
Our intention is not to reduce provision. In combining different elements from within existing 'commissioning pots' the aim is to develop service delivery models that achieve improved health and well being outcomes for all children and young people, and closer alignment with the priorities of our children and young people’s plan.
Health visitors lead and deliver the Healthy Child Service for 0 to 5 year olds, offering support to all families in pregnancy and up to when children are aged five by:
- helping to support the health and well being of your whole family, from ante-natal visits until your child goes to school.
- providing advice on healthy choices e.g. breastfeeding, weaning and healthy eating
- offering development reviews to ensure your child is reaching its full potential
- supporting parents to feel confident in their parenting skills and to provide the best opportunities for their baby
- working in partnership with Children’s Centres and specialist services to support families with additional needs
- offering support and information to families experiencing specific difficulties such as postnatal depression, social isolation and domestic abuse.
School nurses lead and deliver the Healthy Child Service for 5 to 19 year olds, working with children, young people and their families and have a key role in supporting children and young people in school settings. They:
- help support the physical and emotional health and well being of children and young people
- provide advice on healthy choices e.g. healthy eating, dental health, sexual health and substance misuse
- offer health reviews to ensure your child continues to reach its full potential
- provide specific support for families with complex needs such as diabetes and asthma
- offer advice and information on health issues such as bedwetting and concerns about behaviour
- work closely with your child’s school to promote a healthy lifestyle
- offer the childhood immunisation programme to protect against disease and infection.
If you would like to find out how the York Healthy Child Service uses your information, see our privacy notice.
Children's Services Team
Children's Services Advice, Assessment and Early Intervention Team
West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA
Telephone: 01904 551900
Last Updated: August 2019