Skip to content

Who is in schools?

Class teacher

You will probably meet the class teacher when you look around a school. Remember that the teacher might change before your child starts school. The teacher is responsible for the teaching and learning of all children in his/her class.


The headteacher has overall responsibility for running the school. The headteacher is always happy to speak to parents and will often show them around. He/she reports to the school’s governing body, which includes a parent governor representative.

Lead practitioner

A lead practitioner supports you in coordinating the help you receive for your child. This person will take over the coordination role from an early support keyworker. They may coordinate meetings, tell you where you can find things out and act as a contact point for other professionals. The lead practitioner could be any professional working with you such as a social worker, teacher, teaching assistant, specialist teacher or physiotherapist. Alternatively, you may choose to take on this role yourself.

Nursery nurse

A nursery nurse may work alongside a qualified teacher in nursery, infant or primary classes helping children with their learning, play and social development.

Parent support advisor (PSA)

Some schools have their own parent support advisor who may be able to provide information, signpost you to services, support your child’s transition into school and offer access to groups such as family learning.

Special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) or inclusion coordinator

The SENCo is usually part of the senior leadership team in a school. He/she will be responsible for the arrangements in school for children with special educational needs (SEN).

Specialist Teaching Teams – Autistic Spectrum Condition, Deaf & Hearing, Physical & Medical Needs, Vision Support, Hospital teaching

If your child is involved with a specialist teacher from one of these teams, then that involvement will continue when your child starts school. Your child will usually be seen in school but home visits can continue when necessary. You will always be kept informed of involvement with your child. The level of support and staff may change as your child moves through school, but you will be informed of any changes.

An error has occurred in processing the XML document

Teaching assistant (TA)

Teaching assistants work in different ways in different schools. Most teaching assistants work with small groups of children as well as with individual children. This is managed by the school.