Where can I get help if I am not happy with a service?

If you are unhappy with the service you have received, in the first instance, talk to the person who works with you from that service. In the majority of cases, explaining your concerns will enable things to be improved.

If you are still unhappy below are ways you can make a complaint:

City of York Council's Customer, Complaints and Feedback Team

If you remain unhappy, there is information about how to complain about City of York Council's Service.

Complaints regarding Health

If you have a complaint regarding health, find out about the NHS complaints procedure.

Healthwatch York

Healthwatch York is an initiative set up by the Government to make sure you can influence and challenge health and social care services. Healthwatch York can sign post you to independent complaints advocacy if you need support to complain about a service you have received. Find out more how Healthwatch York can help you by visiting their website.

If you are unhappy with your child's Education, Health and Care Plan you can contact York Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Services Team (SENDIASS).

Independent Dispute Resolution Services

The City of York Council has commissioned the services of a trained and experienced group of dispute resolution experts who can help and advise you should you have a disagreement with any decisions made by the Local Authority or by your education setting in relation to the SEN educational provision or support arrangements being made available to your son or daughter.

This Dispute Resolution Service is completely independent of the Local Authority.

Their job is to try and resolve emerging disagreements or disputes in order to avoid the need for progress onto a formal Tribunal Appeal hearing lodged with the First Tier (SEND) Tribunal. Access to this independent Dispute Resolution Service is completely free of charge to you. Accessing this free independent service does not affect your right to lodge an appeal to the First Tier (SEND) Tribunal at the same time if you so wish.

To find out more about how accessing this free and independent Dispute Resolution Service could help you the please contact our SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS).

Local Offer Feedback

We value your feedback about York's Local Offer. If you have any comments or suggestions about York's Local Offer please complete the feedback form.

Speak Up Service

Speak Up is York's Children's Rights and Advocacy Service and is here to help you understand your rights, and to provide you with help and support on anything and everything to do with being in care.


York Advocacy

If you're aged 18 and over, York Advocacy can support you to make sure your voice is heard, and to speak out on your behalf.

For information regarding Mediation, follow this link to the Kids website for general information about mediation and here for regional mediation information.


Related pages


York Family Information Service

01904 554444