Legal Rights

Your first port of call should be your social worker or key worker for any legal related advice. If this isn't applicable to you the services below will be able to support you further.

If you unsure who to contact or where to go then contact Family Information Service, who will signpost you to your different options.

City of York Council Benefits Advice

City of York Council Benefits Adivce team will adivce resiidents of York on benefits and credits that they are entitled to. The benefits advice team provide information and advice on all welfare benefits and tax credits, this also includes disability living allowance and personal independence advice.

They can also:

  • help you complete forms
  • help with problems or appeals.

The team can help you over the phone or in person by appointment at our Customer Centre, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA.

Advisers can also visit you in your own home if you are unable to get to our office. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance Advice

PIP will be rolled out to existing DLA claimants in York from 3 February 2014. DLA is being replaced by PIP for those aged between 16 and 64. Please note those aged 0-16 will continue to receive DLA.

People in York who are getting DLA will be contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to claim PIP.

From 3 February 2014 the first people to be affected are:

  • young people reaching 16 years
  • people coming to the end of a fixed period award

IMPORTANT: When you receive a letter from the DWP about you benefit, you must:

  • Contact DWP to register your claim for PIP straight away
  • Do not delay - you must do this before the date on your letter
  • If you do not do this, you DLA will stop

When you have registered for PIP you will receive a new claim pack. As long as you contact the DWP before the date on your letter, your current DLA will continue until the new PIP claim is decided.If not, you will not receive any DLA or PIP until the new claim is decided. This could be anything from 2-9 months.

If you need help contact your support worker or local advice service. You can also contact York City Council’s Benefits Advisers  or Citizens Advice Bureau.

An error has occurred in processing the XML document

An error has occurred in processing the XML document

More information is available on the following websites:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB offer free, independent, confidential and impartial advice. It is open to everyone in the community. Staff are trained are trained on virtually any issue, including:

  • welfare benefits - including DLA and PIP
  • money and credit problems
  • employment
  • consumer rights
  • housing
  • neighbourhood disputes
  • education and healthcare
  • immigration and residency queries
  • human rights
  • family and personal issues

Get in touch with York CAB in various way###:variable-conopen###1580&k=!ek6Hux_pahethes" cacheinmin="60">

Help In Hand

Help in Hand are part of the Welfare Benefits Unit, they can offer advice and support on Disability Living Allowance. 

For further information contact:

Contact a Family

Contact a Family is 0808 808 3555a national charity that exists to support families of disabled children whatever their condition or disability. They support families with disabled children in order to empower them to live the lives they want and achieve their full potential, for themselves, for the communities they live in, and for society.  

They have experts who can offer adive in the following subjects:

  • Benefits and tax credits
  • Disabled childre's services
  • Short breaks
  • Working
  • Help with fuel bills
  • Aids and equipment

For further information contact:

An error has occurred in processing the XML document


York Family Information Service and Information Service for Young People

01904 554444 / 01904 555400

Search for Childcare and Services