house magnifiying3

A decent, safe and affordable home is central to a person’s health and wellbeing. The council’s Housing Options Service is a good place to start your housing enquiries. It provides information on housing choices in York such as renting privately or through a housing association or council property. It is a drop-in service, so no appointment is necessary. The service is based at West Offices and is open 8:30am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

There is also a range of useful housing leaflets and guides, including an easy read Housing Options guide for people with a learning disability and their carers. You can find a range of housing options leaflets on the City of York Council website.

A DVD featuring disabled young people talking about how they have made the move to independent living is also available on request.

Living independently

To assist people to lead an independent life in a home of their own there are a few options you might want to explore.

Carers can come in at different times of the day to assist someone with a range of tasks including washing, dressing, making breakfast and other household tasks such as cleaning.

Personal Budgets give you control over your care and support you receive. For example you could use your personal budget to receive support from a Personal Assistant.



Mencap have access to new housing funding with flexible support. Follow the link here to download an easy read guide about housing

Managing Money:

Living independently will also mean you will need to take responsibility of what money you receive. When you start to receive benefits and / or earn money through employment it can feel overwhelming sorting out what money you have each week and dealing with bills and bank statements. United Response have produced some helpful Making Money Easier guides to help you manage your money such as choosing a bank account, and making sense of financial jargon.

Single Access Point Floating Support Services

To be referred to the floating support services please complete a referral form and send completed forms to SAP@York.gov.uk.

Foundation – SMART

  • Housing related support for those in private, council and housing association tenancies.
  • Must be aged 16-25
  • 2 Year limit on support. 1-2 week wait at the moment

Richmond Fellowship

  • Mental Health housing related support for those in private, council and housing association tenancies. Support also available for Owner Occupiers. Must have moderate mental health need.
  • 2 Year Limit on support. Waiting list approx 6 months but very unpredictable as also take referrals directly from secondary mental health services
  • If possible customers can pay to be on service, contact Richmond Fellowship directly on 01904 413298. If paying there is not so much of a wait.

York Housing Association – Scarcroft Road Project floating support

  • Housing related support for those in private, council and housing association tenancies.
  • Must be aged 16-19
  • 2 Year limit on support.
  • no wait at the moment

Yorkshire Housing – Supporting you to live at home

  • Housing related support for those in private, council and housing association tenancies. Support also available for Owner Occupiers. Must be retirement age or have physical disability.
  • There is no limit on length of support.
  • If possible customers can pay to be on the service, contact SAP@York.gov.uk for more information.

The Customer Access and Assessment Team

The Customer Access and Assessment Team is the first port of call for new customers aged 18 years and over wishing to gain advice and information regarding adult social care services. The team supports families who need housing adaptations and are able to sign post you to other services for support.

Disabled Facilities Grants help people who have a disability adapt their home to make it easier for them to continue to live there or maintain their independence. Disabled people who are registered with the Community Services team or who meet the criteria for registration if they were to apply are eligible to apply for the grant.

The grants are means tested for adults. However for children and young people under 19 years old the grant is not means tested.

Reablement (regaining independent living) is suitable for anyone over 18 years old who is eligible for social care support and who would benefit from a period of support with daily activities. Examples how reablement can support you include regaining skills such as cooking, or support you to go out.

Occupational Therapy Assessment will assess your needs to help you remain in your home. Support could be from adaptations made to your home or equipment to enable you to remain independent.

You can find out more information about equipment to help you remain independent in your own home on the Beindependent website.





Useful documents

Useful websites


York Family Information Service and Information Service for Young People

01904 554444 / 01904 555400


Search for Childcare and Services