Skip to content

Employment Support

Annual Careers Event

For information about the next steps in yours or your child's education and future opportunities, don't miss out on the annual career events Steps to Success and the Opportunities Fair, which are held in York each year.

Steps to Success is aimed at young people in year 9 and year 11 and provides information on your options moving forward.

The Opportunities Fair is aimed at young people (14 - 25 years) with special educational needs and disabilities and provides information about the range of options available to them post-16.

At the events there will be representatives from schools, colleges and a range of industries, as well as help and advice on different qualifications and pathways.

If you'd like to find out more about your options, visit Yorzone for year 9 options or year 11 options for more information.

Searching for jobs

There are lots of other ways to find jobs in York. Below are some examples:

City of York Council Find information about current vacancies working at the City of York Council. There are temporary and permanent opportunities in lots of different areas.

Jobcentre Plus provides a wide range of information and services, primarily helping people to find a job, but also providing access to loans/grants and unemployment benefits for those entitled to them. Jobcentre Plus advertises job vacancies which can be accessed by customers through job points (touch-screen computer terminals available in all jobcentres), via the DirectGov website and through the telephone service: Jobseeker Direct. In York, you can visit Jobcentre Plus Stonebow or Jobcentre Plus Monkgate.

T: 0345 604 3719

Yor-ok If you want to work in childcare you can find lots of different part time and full time vacancies here, including apprenticeships.

Yorzone provides up to date lists of job vacancies in the York area, including City Centre, Monks Cross and York's Designer Outlet.

How do I get support?

There are lots of support out there to help young people with disabilities or additional needs access employment or further and higher education. Read Jo's case study on how she got support to help her continue her education at university.

Specialist Careers Advisers: They are a team of advisers who support young people with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) who are in education and training.

Access to Work: The Access to Work grant helps pay for practical support for people with a disability, health or mental health condition to help you start working; stay in work or start your own business. Support can range from adaptations made to the equipment you will need to use, a support worker or job coach or a communicator at a job interview.

Disability Rights: As a disabled person you have rights to protect you from discrimination. These rights cover most areas including: employment; education and dealing with the police.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) are for students in higher education who live in England. You can apply for a DSA if you have a disability, long term health condition; mental health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia.

Discretionary Learner Support for young people aged 19 and over who are attending a further education course and who are facing financial hardship. You can apply even if you also receive other types of support such as Disability Living Allowance.

Transition Team work together to support families during this time of transition and is based at The Zone, attached to Applefields School. 

Travel Arrangements

Blue Badge scheme provides national parking concessions making it easier for people with severe walking difficulties to park closer to shops, restaurants and other places they wish to visit. The badge is issued to the eligible person who can be the driver or a passenger in a vehicle. Parents of a disabled child under 16 can apply for a badge on their child's behalf. You can find more information online.

Disabled Persons bus pass entitles the holder to free travel across England. You will need to apply either in person or by post and will need to provide documents to support your application. You may also be able to have a companion added to your bus pass so that one other person, such as a carer, can travel with you.

Disabled Persons railcard gives the holder a third off most rail fares across Britain and costs £20 for one year. You can find more information about the railcard and find out if you are eligible online.

York Independent Living and Travel Skills, or YILTS, is a travel training programme for young people with a range of special educational needs (SEN) across the City of York Council. Its aim is to provide young people with the necessary skills to travel independently between home and their School or College.

Yozone cards are available for young people aged 11-16 and 16-18 year olds who either live or attend a school or college in York. The Yozone card entitles the holder to received discounted bus fare on local buses in York.

Other travel information:

The Government website also has helpful information and guidance about using a range of transport if you are disabled, including trainsplanes and taxis.

Managing Money:

When you start to receive benefits and / or earn money through employment it can feel overwhelming sorting out what money you have each week and dealing with bills and bank statements. United Response have produced some helpful Making Money Easier guides to help you manage your money such as choosing a bank account, and making sense of financial jargon.