Skip to content

Complex Needs

For children and young people with the most complex needs, there may be access to Continuing Care/Continuing Healthcare and personal health budgets.

Continuing Care and Continuing Healthcare

Some people with long-term complex health needs qualify for free social care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare, or for children under 18, continuing care.

Care is provided for those who meet certain requirements for their healthcare needs, and is awarded after an assessment and review of the needs of the child or young person.  Your specialist, or therapist or social worker will advise if they believe that you might be eligible for continuing care or continuing healthcare.

More information can be found on the CCG website Continuing Care pages


Personal Health Budgets

Anyone in receipt of continuing care or continuing healthcare payments may receive all or part of their support by way of a personal health budget, often used to help organise personal care.  If your child or young person is assessed as being eligible for continuing care or continuing healthcare, then a personal health budget will be discussed with you.


Transforming Care Partnership (Building the Right Support)

The Transforming Care Partnership (TCP) is a multi agency group working to ensure that children and young people with autism or learning disability and who also demonstrate challenging behaviours are well supported to live with their families, or close to their families in the local community. There are a very small number of children and young people who need the type of support the TCP will offer. Your social worker or mental health worker will talk with you if they think that your child or young person might need this support.


Advice and information

There are a number of organisations offering information or support to families with children and young people with challenging behaviours, including: