Skip to content

Benefits, Funding and Grants

It often costs more on average to raise a disabled child because of additional items, such as equipment or clothing. You and your family could be entitled to extra financial help through welfare benefits. To find out what extra financial support you could be entitled to visit the Government's benefits adviser or Turn2us.

Local Welfare Assistance Schemes

Local welfare and assistance schemes are designed to help people who are in urgent need following an emergency or unforeseen event. They have replaced community care grants and crisis loans for living expenses in April 2013. The scheme is intended for people who have no other source of help. York's Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provide a one support package solution for residents in financial difficulty.  

Disability Grants

The Disability Grants website brings together a number of grants for disabled people. You can search nationally or in your local area.

Turn2Us is a grant finder service where you input details about your individual circumstances and the grant finder will search for grants you may be eligible to receive. 

Other Support Services

Contact a Family have a helpline for parents of children and young people with SEN. You can call them on 0808 808 3555 or email


Personal Independence Payment (Previously named Disability Living Allowance, DLA) can help with some of the extra costs caused by a long term illness or a disability if you are aged between16 and 64.


DAF (Disability Access Fund) guidance is available for 3 and 4 year old children who are eligible for DLA (Disability Living Allowance) to increase their inclusion at their early years provision.


Family Fund are the largest provider of grants to low-income families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people.

T: 01904 550055


Mencap - Mencap provide advice and support regarding benefits available

T: 0808 808 1111

Foundation for people with learning disabilities put together a finance fact sheet to support with finance concerns if you are caring for a child or young person with disabilities.