The health visiting team is here to help you and your family.
Health visitors provide the healthy child service and you will be offered an antenatal contact with a health visitor who will contact you to arrange this.
For further information or support and if you have not heard from our health visiting team please contact the Health Visiting Team.
To support you during your pregnancy and prepare you for your new arrival we have put together some information and resources we hope you will find helpful before your baby/babies arrive.
Health Visitors as Public Health Nurses work closely with parents/carers and families to support behaviour change, promote health protection and to keep children safe. The antenatal period is vital time to prepare for parenthood, and therefore health visitors provide support at this stage to promote positive attachment, and help parents/carers to make informed and positive choices for themselves and their child.
It is important for you and your baby even before they are born to develop a relationship with them, this will help their health and development and enhance your relationship to them.
A healthy diet is an important part of a healthy lifestyle at any time but is especially vital if you're pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Eating healthily during pregnancy will help your baby to develop and grow.
For information on eating healthy during pregnancy visit the NHS guidance for information on healthy eating in pregnancy.
Healthy Start vitamins are available to eligible women and children via the following pharmacies located across York at the following participating pharmacies:
1. The Priory Pharmacy, Cornlands Road, YO24 3WX
2. Tower Court Pharmacy, Unit 1, Tower Court, Oakdale Road, YO30 4WL
3. Whitworth Pharmacy, 275 Melrosegate, YO10 3SN
4. Monk Bar Pharmacy, 3 Goodramdate, YO1 7LJ
5. Day Lewis Pharmacy, 67 Front Street, YO24 3BR
6. Huntington Pharmacy, 1 North Lane within Huntington Surgery, YO32 9RU
7. Haxby Group Pharmacy, Haxby & Wigginton Health Centre, YO32 2LL
8. Fulford Pharmacy, 101 Main Street, Fulford, YO10 4PN
9. MJ Roberts Pharmacy, 8 Boroughbridge Road, YO26 5RU
1. The Priory Pharmacy, Cornlands Road, York, YO24 3WX
2. Citywide Health - Tower Court Pharmacy, Unit 1, Tower Court, Clifton Moorgate, York YO30 4WL
3. Monkbar Pharmacy, 3 Goodramgate, York, YO1 7LJ
4. Citywide Health - Water End Pharmacy, 8 Boroughbridge Road, Acomb, York, YO26 5RU
5. Citywide Health - Fulford Pharmacy, 101 Main Street, Fulford, York, YO10 4PN
6. Day Lewis Pharmacy, 67 Front Street, Acomb, York, YO24 3BR
7. Citywide Health - Huntington Pharmacy, 1-3 North Lane, Huntington, York, YO32 9RU
8. Citywide Health - Haxby Pharmacy, Haxby & Wigginton Health Centre, The Village, Wigginton, York, YO32 2LL
The more active and fit you are during pregnancy, the easier it will be for you to adapt to your changing shape and weight gain. It will also help you to cope with labour and get back into shape after the birth.
The NHS has Exercise tips when you're pregnant.
Healthy relationships are also important for yours and babies well being in pregnancy.
Smoking whilst pregnant impacts you and your baby in many ways and puts you and your baby at risks. Please contact your midwife or health visitor for further information and support with stopping smoking.
The NHS homepage has information, guidance and tools relating to all aspects of your health, including how to get medical help, where to find health related services and apps for improving health.
It's a good idea to think about how you will feed your baby and to receive the information, advice and support you may need.
For more information and advice about feeding your baby visit our Infant Feeding Advice and Support page.