Education, Health and Care Plans

Send yourself or someone else a link to this page:

Send to email address:
What's your name?

From September 2014, Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans will start to replace Statements of special educational needs and Learning Difficulty Assessments. EHC plans focus on what you want to achieve and what support you need to do this.

Who gets an EHC plan?

EHC plans are for children and young people with a special educational need or disabilities. EHC plans can continue until you're 25, but it will stop if:

  • you go to university
  • you get a job
  • you tell the council you no longer want your EHC plan
  • the council thinks you no longer need your EHC plan

What is included in the EHC plan?

Your EHC plan is tailored to meet your needs. Your EHC plan will include information about you, how you would like to communicate, what support you need and what you would like to acheive.

All the people who support you will be able to see the information in your plan. You will be able to share your views on what personal information is included in your plan and who should see the information.

New rights and aspirations

Under the new law, you will have a greater say in the support you receive as part of your EHC plan. This will help you achieve your aspirations.

  • you'll be able to request the school or college you'd like to go to
  • you'll be able to make sure your views and opinions are heard
  • those who support you, such as your teachers, will have to take into consideration what you want and take on board your views, opinions and goals
  • you'll be able to access mediation services if you are unhappy about the educational support you receive



Education, Health and Care Plan

Post 16 Support

Guide on how to resolve SEND disagreements


If you have any queries about the Education Health and Care Plan please contact the SEN team.