Skip to content

Private Fostering for Children and Young People

Private Fostering family


Are you or will you be staying with someone who isn’t a close relative for more than 28 days in total?

If so, you could be in a Private Fostering Arrangement.

If you are under 16 years of age, or under 18 years if you are disabled, and you are staying with someone other than:

  • a parent
  • a grand parent
  • an aunt or uncle
  • a sibling
  • a step parent by marriage or civil partnership

for more than 28 days in total, it is a private fostering arrangement

Why must Children’s Social Care be involved?

City of York Council Children’s Social Care must be informed if you are in or will be in a Private Fostering Arrangement

This is to ensure that children in Private Fostering arrangements are seen and spoken to and their welfare is checked to make sure that they do not suffer abuse or neglect.

What will Children’s Social Care do?

A Social Worker will visit and speak with you to decide whether the Private Fostering arrangement is right for you. If there are no concerns about the arrangement, the Social Worker will continue to visit at regular intervals to make sure everything is going well. They are there to offer you support and guidance.

Private Fostering Leaflets 

We have some leaflets which you can download and print:

Private Fostering Leaflet for Parents and Carers

Private Fostering Leaflet for Under 11 years

Private Fostering Leaflet for Over 11 Years

To notify of a Private Fostering arrangement or for more information about Private Fostering contact York Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 01904 551900 email:

Related pages