Skip to content

Making a complaint about a conference


This guide explains how to complain if you are not satisfied with the decisions that have been made or the way you have been treated by at the child protection conference or you wish to appeal against a decision.

What can you complain about?

You can complain or appeal against any decision that the conference makes, including the decision to make your child subject to a Child Protection Plan if you believe the decision was not properly made for one of the following reasons:

  • The decision was made without the conference having the necessary information
  • The decision was unreasonable because the conference did not follow the correct procedure
  • You were not given the opportunity to have your views heard by the conference
  • You can also complain if you feel that you were not treated with respect.

What is the difference between an appeal and a complaint?

A complaint is where you are dissatisfied with the way a decision has been made or with the way you have been treated, whereas an appeal is a way of asking for a decision to be reconsidered because, for example, because new information has come to light.

Whether you wish to make a complaint or appeal the process is the same.

How to complaint or appeal

You should first contact the person who chaired the conference as soon as possible and explain that you are not happy and why. If your complaint is about the chairperson or you do not feel comfortable talking to them, you should speak to their manager.

The chairperson will discuss your concerns with you and try to answer any questions you may have. This must happen within 14 days of you contacting them.  If you remain unhappy follow the City of York Council complaints procedure.

During the process your child's name will stay on the register until a conference takes place.