Who we are and what we do

Who are we?

We are a service which aims to help children, young people, parents and carers understand the special educational needs system and be a part of it. We aim to enable you to confidently make informed choices and decisions.

We have a duty to provide information, advice and support to children and young people who have, or may have special educational needs and disabilities 0-25 years, and their parents/ carers.

The service is available at all stages of school life – from pre-school, school leaving and further education right up to the age of 25. We provide information, advice and support on matters surrounding:

-         Education

-         Health

-         Social Care

Any information, advice and support provided is impartial, confidential and free

If we can’t help you with something, we try to find another service that can!

What do we mean by special educational needs?

The term special educational needs (SEN) has a legal definition referring to children and young people who have learning difficulties that might make it harder for them to learn or access education than most children or young people the same age.

How can I request information, advice and support?

Step 1

You do not need to be referred by a professional or specialist to receive our support. You/ your child do not even need a formal diagnosis of special educational needs. Sometimes young people and parents contact us with just a simple question. Other times, it might be regarding a more complex issue, and they need our support for an extended period of time – either way we are here to support you!

If you think you need our support please get in touch. We welcome self referrals by email, telephone or even a letter in the post. You can also use our referral form here. Don’t forget to provide your preferred contact details so we know how to get in touch.

A professional can refer with your consent.

Step 2

Once we have received your enquiry, we can discuss with you the best way forward. This might include:

-         Information and guidance

-         Assigning one of our dedicated SENDIASS caseworkers to you

-         Arranging support before and at discussions and meetings

-         Home visits

-         If you are looking for help regarding the EHCP process, it might be beneficial to assign you to a dedicated independent supporter

-         Help to access services such as disagreement resolution or mediation

-         Advice and support which will enable you to feel and be fully involved in decisions about your/ your child’s special educational needs

-         Advice about making a complaint and who to direct it to

-         Signposting to services you might find useful and beneficial


Don’t worry if you think you might require different support from the above- these are just a few examples. We provide information, advice and support in many different ways.

What do you provide information, advice and support on?

We have a dedicated ‘What we can help with’ section on our website, including a children and young people’s page. These provide basic information regarding some of the most common issues we are asked about. Don’t worry if information about your query is not there, or if you need more in depth information, or if you would just prefer to speak to someone... please get in touch!

For more information please contact:


01904 554312

01904 555698