Finding childcare during the Coronavirus Pandemic

Are you a keyworker or has your employer asked you to return to work and now you are looking for childcare? We can help you! York Family Information Service have the latest information directly from childcare providers themselves about their vacancy information. Get in touch with us at York Family Information Service via our website, email, social media or textphone using the details below.

We also have a list of FAQs on searching for and finding childcare during the pandemic.

T: 01904 554444 (Mon - Fri 10am - 4pm)



M: 07624802244 (textphone)

Please note: In light of the current COVID 19 pandemic, we have gathered information about which early years providers are currently open and providing services to key worker families and families that are now being asked to return to work by their employer. The list only shows the providers who are currently open and please be aware that due to government guidance providers could be operating on reduced numbers and may not be able to accept new children. Please see below a spreadsheet containing a list of providers that are currently open:

York Childcare Provision - COVID 19 Updates - 14/07/2020


Please also note that due to the ongoing nature of the current pandemic this may not be a complete list of all providers as the information is changing on a daily basis. We will endeavour to ensure the information is updated as soon as we can.

You can filter the provision by ward so you can find provision in the area most suitable for you. We hope that families find this useful but if you require further information or support finding childcare York Family Information Service can support you via a brokerage service.

Search for Childcare - During the coronavirus the information in our search facility is rapidly changing. We advise using the search facility along with the York Childcare Provision - COVID 19 Updates spreadsheet, so that you can match up current availability with the childcare providers information on fees, opening hours and service description. Alternatively please contact York Family Information Service.

Financial Support for your Childcare Costs

There are various ways to reduce your childcare costs. We have outlined different options including funded childcare, tax free and flexible working arrangements. There is more detailed information on our Financial Support for your Childcare Costs page.

Childcare options

There are lots of different options to consider when choosing childcare. To find out more about what is available, visit our Childcare Options page.

Choosing Childcare for Children with SEND

Childcare can bring many benefits for children including their development, learning and play. For you as a parent using good quality childcare means you can work, train, or just have a break.If your child has special educational needs or disabilities (SEND), there are often more things to consider when choosing the right childcare for your child. Visit our choosing childcare for children with special educational needs and disabilities page for further information. 

Finding Childcare in York

York Family Information Service should be at the top of your list when looking for childcare. We provide free and impartial information to mums, dads and carers of 0-25 year olds on anything and everything to do with family life. We hold information about all Ofsted registered childcare in the City of York Council area. To find Ofsted registered childcare in York, you can either use our Search Directory or you can get a personalised list directly from us by calling 01904 554444 or emailing By getting in contact we can carry out detailed searches against your needs and let you know about available childcare.

We can let you know:

  • where childcare is located;
  • how to contact different childcare providers;
  • information about costs and fees;
  • when they are open;
  • their last inspection outcome and if they are taking part in a quality assurance scheme;
  • what experience and training they have around supporting disabled children;
  • what vacancies they have and key details about how they operate;
  • we're here to talk you through every part of you journey and answer any questions you have.

You can also take advantage of the Family Information Service's brokerage service if you would like additional support in finding childcare.

If you are looking for childcare outside of York you can use the Family and Childcare Trust Childcare Finder. This website links together all of the Family Information Services in England to make it quick and easy to find childcare wherever you live.

Related pages

Useful websites