Money and finance

Reduce your childcare bills

There are lots of different ways you can get support to reduce your childcare costs. Take a look at our childcare costs section. If you would like to talk to someone about what support might be available please contact the York Family Information Service.

Money Advice

The Money Advice Service helps people manage their money. They do this directly through their own free and impartial advice service. They also work in partnership with other organisations to help people make the most of their money. They're an independent service, set up by government. They also have an informative section on how to look after your money during different life events for example setting up home and having a baby.

If you're a customer of Jobcentre Plus you can get a personalised return to work calculation to help you see how going back to work will make a difference to your finances. For more information contact your local Jobcentre Plus.

Child maintenance

Child maintenance is regular, reliable financial support that helps towards a child’s everyday living costs. The parent who doesn’t have main day-to-day care of the child pays child maintenance to the parent or person (such as a grandparent or guardian) who does, but it can be about more than just money. Child Maintenance Options have more information.


Financial assistance are often available through grant giving charities depending on you background and circumstances. Turn2us is a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations.  If you need to use the internet and don’t have access at home, you can always use libraries, children’s centres or the computers in West Offices.

The York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides one support package solution for residents in financial difficulty. There are two types of YFAS assistance:

  • YFAS Emergency Assistance – this is to help with a disaster or crisis; and 
  • YFAS Community Assistance – this is to help with a return to the community or to help customers to remain in the community. This can also help ease exceptional financial pressure on families, for example providing help to attend a funeral or with visiting a relative who is ill. 

Financial assistance will be targeted at those most in need and will assist in allowing residents to continue to live in our communities.

If you or someone in your family has a disability or additional need then Family Fund may be able to help with a grant, alternatively, you may want to try a national charity related to the condition.


Make sure you’ve had a full benefits check and that you’re claiming everything you’re entitled to.  The benefits system is complicated and can be difficult to navigate so there is support to help you.  (If you are going to check a benefits check, you will need some documents and information to hand)

Jobcentre Plus Monkgate

Jobcentre Plus aims to: *Help people into paid work *Give people of working age the help and support they are entitled to if they cannot work.

Customer Access And Assessment Team (Adults)

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: The Customer Access and Assessment Team ( CAAT ) is the first point of contact for any adult, (a person aged 18 years and above) social care enquiries for new customers, (who reside in the City Of York Area), and their carers and or other professionals involved in that customers care. Enquiries in the first instance will be received by our Customer Contact Workers whose role is one of prevention by providing information and advice in respect of what is available to customers and their carers in the voluntary, community and health sector. They also sign post customers and their carers to organisations within these sectors and to make referrals to other CYC services ,Occupational Therapy, Sensory Team and Carers Assessments to name but a few. The Customer Contact Workers also undertake Initial Contact Assessments for those customers that require a formal Social Care Assessment. In order for them to do this they will ask a number of questions to gather information required to make the necessary decision as to which team is the most appropriate to undertake the assessment. If a customer requires a formal Social Care Assessment, in the first instance our Customer Contact Workers will consider the Universal Offer which is for customers where appropriate to have a period of assessment via the Intensive Support Service Team. They will give information to customers about personalisation and Self Directed Support and how they may, if eligible, buy in their own care via a Direct Payment. Within CAAT we also offer a Social Care Assessment function for those customers deemed not eligible or appropriate to have assessment via the Intensive Support Service Team. Social Care Managers/Worker work with customers, their carers and any professional agency involved in their care to determine eligible need and give information and advice as to how those needs might be met and the cost implications of those options via a referral to our Finance Department. Our aim is to enable customers and their carers to make informed choices about how their needs should be met and to enable, where possible, customers and their carers to secure those services themselves or to support and commission services on their behalf if needed. We also provide a duty service within CAAT which covers those situations whereby an urgent Social Care Assessment and service is required that day. Mobile for hearing impaired customers only 07534 437804 Outside office hours the Emergency Duty Team can be contacted on 01609 780780

Tax Credits Helpline

: The Tax Credit Helpline provides information about Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. Open Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, and Saturday 8.00 am to 4.00 pm. Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

Macmillan Cancer Support

Cancer is the toughest fight most of us will ever face. But you and your family don’t have to go through it alone. The Macmillan team is with you every step of the way, from the nurses and therapists helping you through treatment to the campaigners improving cancer care. For cancer support every step of the way call Macmillan on 0808 808 00 00 (Monday to Friday, 9am-8pm) or visit


Turn2us is a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations. Our website can help you find financial support, quickly and easily, based on your circumstances. It features a free and easy to use Benefits Calculator, Grants Search and other information and resources. Turn2us is part of Elizabeth Finn Care.

Local Area Coordinators

Local Area Coordinators help you stay safe, well, independent and connected to your local community, they: •help raise awareness of available resources •provide links to local services •support people with a wide range of issues •develop resilience and social inclusion in communities Local Area Coordinators work with individuals and families of all ages and abilities. They take time to get to know you, your family and friends, your carers and your community, so they can help you to build a strong support network. Local Area Coordinators can support you in many ways, such as: •taking steps to make your life better •helping you access a range of information •getting the right help from available services •developing relationships and community networks •getting your voice heard about things that are important to you •helping you find volunteering opportunities Local Area Coordinators currently work in: •Acomb (into Holgate) •Clifton •Guildhall •Haxby and Wigginton •Huntington and New Earswick •Tang Hall (located in Hull Road Ward and Heworth Ward) •Westfield Amy Bates Local Area Coordinator - Acomb into Holgate Telephone: 07957455359 Email: Sally Waudby Local Area Coordinator - Clifton Telephone: 07813993832 Email: Siobhan Moore Local Area Coordinator - Guildhall Telephone: 07534434759 Email: Mary Thompson Local Area Coordinator - Haxby and Wigginton Telephone: 07776456955 Email: Sarah Charlton Local Area Coordinator - Huntington and New Earswick Telephone: 07500997556 Email: Jennie Cox Local Area Coordinator - Tang Hall Telephone: 07795354468 Email: Penny Hutchinson Local Area Coordinator - Westfield Telephone: 07903868742 Email:


York Family Information Service

01904 554444