Jobs and money

Working with children

Working with children in York offers a huge range of exciting and challenging opportunities for people who are passionate about making a difference. There are many types of career opportunities available, there's a job for you no matter what your interests, skills or qualifications.

Return to Learning

A programme run by City of York Council adult education team, offering free qualifications in English and Maths up to Level Two Functional Skills (working at A-C GCSE) which is accepted by employers and education institutions. It gives you the chance to return to learning and get a qualification, boost your CV, help to get a job and improve your skills in a subject you’re not confident in. You do your own bespoke individual programme - work at your own pace at times to suit you, sit the examination when you’re ready. You can start at any time of year.  Each session is staffed by professional tutors who will support you throughout. We can offer sessions at York Explore, Acomb Explore, Clifton Library and Tang Hall Library at different times and different days of the week. IT qualifications are also offered through Flexible Learning programme. Look at the website to find out more or call (01904) 554277 to find out more details.

York Learning (formerly Future Prospects)- Supporting Families Project

York Learning will be offering a new type of support to families on working age benefits over the next three years to help them on the journey back to work. The Supporting Families Project will offer a range of different activities to help individuals and their families build confidence and skills in all areas of their life with the dedicated support of an adviser. Future Prospects will be able to support people for up to a year to reach their work and personal goals.

Individuals will benefit from a range of activities from Confidence Building for Life and Relationships; Healthy Lifestyle, Employability Training, Stress Management, Support for Parents and Carers, Money Management, Skills for Life, short vocational courses, volunteering, work placements and much more.

If you are interested in getting personalised support to get you back into work, or know somebody who does, please contact Diane Reasbeck at York Learning on 01904 555852 to find out more.

Children, young people and employment

There are special laws around employing children and young people before they reach school leaving age. You can find out where you stand by:

Reduce your childcare bills

There are lots of different ways you can get support to reduce your childcare costs. Take a look at our childcare costs section. If you would like to talk to someone about what support might be available please contact the York Family Information Service.

Money Advice

The Money Advice Service helps people manage their money. They do this directly through their own free and impartial advice service. They also work in partnership with other organisations to help people make the most of their money. They're an independent service, set up by government. They also have an informative section on how to look after your money during different life events for example setting up home and having a baby.

If you're a customer of Jobcentre Plus you can get a personalised return to work calculation to help you see how going back to work will make a difference to your finances. For more information contact your local Jobcentre Plus.

Aged 13 - 19?

Thinking about your next move? Want to know more about starting a career or finding the right course for you? The futures4me website has lots of useful information to help you make that next step.


If you're a young person then the Young People's Survival Guide has lots of useful information about housing and homelessness. City of York Council also have information on their website around being homeless and finding housing. Search the service directory for information about homelessness.

Child maintenance

Child maintenance is regular, reliable financial support that helps towards a child’s everyday living costs. The parent who doesn’t have main day-to-day care of the child pays child maintenance to the parent or person (such as a grandparent or guardian) who does, but it can be about more than just money. Child Maintenance Options have more information.