Personal Budgets

As a parent/carer of a disabled child you may also want to consider applying for a Personal Budget. Personal budgets are a way of arranging social care services for disabled children, young people and their families.

Personal budgets give you more control and enables you to decide who supports your child.

Personal budgets can be used to:

  • Employ a Personal Assistant (PA) to support your child
  • Buy support from an agency or other organisation
  • Pay for day or evenings activities instead of going to a day service
  • Arrange a short break/respite

You can get more information on personal budgets including:

The City of York Council's SEN Team have also produced guidance about Personal Budgets which you can download.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan please contact the SEN Team.

If you are interested in social care direct payments contact your Social Care Manager or Social Worker at the City of York Council.

If your child has Continuing Health Care funding and you are interested in a personal health budget contact your Continuing Healthcare Coordinator in the CHC team on 0300 303 8294. For more information go to: